Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Plastic Bag Clothing

It's a confusing relationship but the mother of my brother-in-law (Lori) has a best friend who is very creative.  I don't know where this creative friend got the idea (if she came up with it herself or from someone else) but she made Lori a jacket out of plastic grocery bags.  I thought it was so neat and decided I could do this myself!

Unfortunately I wasn't thinking and didn't take any pictures of the process.  It's very simple (yet time consuming) though.
1. Cut up plastic grocery bags into rectangles
2. Place them between newspaper - I liked three layers of plastic, two seemed a bit flimsy and four was hard to get them all to melt together properly
3. Iron the layers together (put iron on the newspaper) - start with iron on low and increase heat if need be.  Definitely practice on scraps first to get the feel for it.
4. Iron pieces together to make fabric pieces the proper size for whatever pattern pieces you are working with.

I had a pattern for a women's jacket and decided to it for make my cousin who is a student at the University of Oregon.  I used 2 layers of plain white bags and 1 layer of bright yellow from the Canned Food Outlet.

The decals can be ironed on as well, just cut out anything from other plastic bags.  My aunt happened to have a UofO bag that she gave me.  I made this a few years ago and am pleased with how it turned out, especially since this was my first (and so far, only) attempt.



No comments:

Post a Comment